Latest sewage & wastewater news

RA Dalton Ltd are the Klargester number one accredited installer covering the whole of the UK.

Contact Us Today

The Ultimate Compliance – Connection to mains sewer.

The General Binding Rules is often considered to be an entangled web of legislation and guidance which to the general public offers very little clarity on what is expected of them. If you have been in the position where you have been looking for a new wastewater solution or looking to replace an existing septic tank/ sewage treatment plant, you will have to consider what is required to comply with the current legislation.

These rules were originally introduced by the Government in 2015 following guidance from the Environment Agency to try and reduce the quantities of untreated effluent entering watercourses. Over the past 7 years and certainly more so since the rules came into effect 2 years ago there has been further elaboration on exactly what is required no doubt brought about by operational flaws.

General Binding Rules.

Whilst many properties are still reliant on off-mains drainage solutions, the development of the mains drainage network over the past several years has meant that this has become a much more viable option and as such should be the first avenue pursued.

It is outlined here that in the instance of a singular domestic dwelling ‘You cannot meet the General Binding Rules if there’s a public foul sewer within 30 metres of any boundary of the premises that your system serves’ or for where multiple properties are involved then the distance needs to be multiplied by the number of dwellings (e.g. 3 properties x 30 metres = 90 metres from any property boundary).

This is not limited to just domestic applications and larger developments/ commercial sites, for this you will need to calculate the maximum volume discharge (in cubic metres) from the buildings, this will need to be divided by 0.75 then multiplied by 30.

Applications, technical information, and logistics.

Once it has been identified that connection to mains drains is the option that must be pursued to comply with the 2020 GBR then the complication begins. An application must be submitted to the local sewerage undertaker along with accompanying information and justification, this process is not a simple one and many of our customers come to us to handle their project as a whole.

Section 106 – Connection to mains sewer

This process is neither straightforward nor quick and can take many months of information gathering, planning, and designing. At any given point the application may be returned with more information required or alternative stipulations being made.

As part of this process, you may be required to submit but are not limited to:

  • Copy of the location plan including requested discharge point.
  • Type of connection to be made.
  • Details on who is carrying out the work and accreditations.
  • Relevant insurance documents.
  • Method statement to carry out the works.

This is not works that can be carried out by any contractor and should be done by an experienced and certified contractor. Dependent on the location of the connection point there may also be a requirement for a Section 50 to work in the highway if the connection point is in the road/ verge.

Section 50 – Working in the highway.

Once the 106 has been granted then the application to work in the highway needs to be submitted to your local council, this will need to include the following information:

  • Copy of plans showing the location of the excavation.
  • Estimated duration of the works.
  • Traffic management CAD plan.
  • Copy of insurance details.
  • Copy of the NRSWA (New Road and Street Works Act) accreditation cards for both the supervisor and operative on site.
  • Method Statement.

You will need to also have an idea of when you will be able to action the works as the council will have to look at the logistics of the proposed date to ensure no other works will be taking place in the proposed area. This also requires the proposal provided to be as accurate as possible as there are instances in which you only have a limited window to complete the connection.

Here at R A Dalton we offer the full package from initial design to commissioning and completion, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us now!

More RA Dalton Waste Water News

Durham Office

01388 537030

Bishop Auckland
County Durham
DL13 1DB

Crook Office

01388 537030

Unit 10c,
Beechburn Industrial Estate,
County Durham, DL15 8RA

Glasgow Office

01698 827628

Office 60
East Kilbride Business Centre
14 Stroud Rd
East Kilbride
G75 0YA

Chesterfield Office

01246 865412

Unit 2, Midway Business Centre
Bridge Street Industrial Estate
Clay Cross, Chesterfield
S45 9NU

We cover the following areas